Friday, April 17, 2009

Ahh, a break from Technology

I just returned from a week-long trip in Rincon, located in Puerto Rico. Leaving my cell phone and computer home was the best decision I could have made. A vacation is all about relaxation, so why have updates every few seconds interfering with a stress-free week on an Island??

Life down there was different! Things were simple and reminded me of when I was growing up. Rather than accessing the internet for information, even though most areas were wireless, we spoke with "locals" to seek information. People were extremely helpful and pleasant to talk to, as we received lots of information through actual face to face conversation. I'm not used to that anymore. Here in NY mostly everything we do is through the internet.

Not only was the people interaction different, but the pace of living....as we were on Island Time, which at first was challenging to adjust with, but by the end of the week, I had not a worry as to what day it was or the time. A break from technology and the fast paced environment that surrounds me today was the best way I could have spent this past week.

PS. One really interesting thing I learned was a feature of the iPhone...one of my friends traveling loaded her eTicket using her phone. As we boarded and went through security checkpoints, the airline scanned the barcode her phone displayed instead of the eTicket that I had to walk around with. Pretty cool, but as for now, something I would not recommend, because how do you shut off the cell phone for the remainder of the trip and not be tempted to connect to the world digitally??

No comments: